Slow-Cooker Barbacoa Shredded Beef Tacos (with pickled onions)
These shredded beef tacos get their rich smokey flavour from barbacoa seasoning. Slow-cooking the blade roast allows the beef to become so tender and mouth-meltingly delicious! Top your tacos off with some homemade pickled onions for the perfect tangy balance.
Slow-Cooker Barbacoa Shredded Beef Tacos
Serves: 6 people
Cooking Time: 8 hours
2.5 lb Papa Earth Blade Roast (AAA)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dried cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup beef stock or water
*Note: you can also use a prepackaged Barbacoa seasoning mix if you prefer. In that case, you would leave out the chipotles, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Homemade pickled onions (recipe below)
- Finely chop the onion and place it in the slow cooker.
- Take a paper towel and dry off the outside of the blade roast. Place the beef on top of the onions.
- Add the remaining taco ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- As the beef is cooking, make the pickled onions (directions below).
- Once the beef is cooked, take two forks and shred the beef. The beef should be extremely tender and pull apart very easily.
- Warm the tortillas and pile on the shredded beef and top with the pickled onions, sour cream and lime juice.
How to Make Homemade Pickled Onions
1 medium red onion
¾ cup white or apple cider vinegar
¼ cup water
2 tbsp of sugar
Pinch of salt
- Place the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-high heat.
- Finely slice the red onion and place it into a glass storage container with a lid.
- Pour vinegar mixture over the onions and make sure that all of the onions are covered by the liquid.
- Pop on the lid and allow the onions to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour. They will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.